Many people ask me about my StompahyX revision surgery, which I had in 2008 some 5-years after my gastric bypass weight-loss surgery in 2003. People are particularly interested in my experience on the day of surgery and my experience in the weeks following the surgery - what did I eat and how did I feel?
The following is a "blow by blow" account of my first week of recovery following the StomaphyX procedure. I point this out as valuable because there are no published meal plans for the 8-week StomaphyX recovery period.
You can read the recommended food and nutrition guidelines for the StomaphyX procedure.
StomaphyX Post Op Day 1
I am having stomach pain and also coughing up mucus which is thick and brown following my StomaphyX. I seem to have fluid in my ears as I hear and feel a crackling noise when I blow my nose. I called the StomaphyX surgeon for antibiotics and he gave me Levaquin, which I need to crush. I am taking Tylenol with Codeine for post StomaphyX pain and it seems to work good enough. It makes me sleepy and I took a long nap today. My throat continues to hurt from the StomaphyX endoscope.
Here is my food plan for today, which I track on fitday.com.
- B: 1 scoop Syntrax nectar whey protein drink with 3tsp magnesium citrate and 2tbs liquid vitamins, vit. B12
- L: 1 scoop ON whey protein drink with 1c vanilla soy milk and 2tbs natural peanut butter and 1 tsp 100% cocoa and 2 packets Splenda blended with ice cubes in blender
- D: 1/2 Campbell's cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- Metabolic: 1/2 Campbell's cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
This provides 927 cals, 48g fat, 52g carb, 80g protein.
Overall, this menu is too high in calories, fat, and carbs, and too low in protein. I'll have to plan better in the future so as to maximize the benefit from my StomaphyX.
StomaphyX Post Op Day 2
I have had very little to eat since Tuesday -- the day of my StomaphyX -- and have only lost .5lbs. I continue to have mild pain in my stomach from the StomaphyX and chest and back hurt, and I have a headache. I am very stressed and perhaps this is making me hold onto the weight. I will go for a walk today to see if that helps both my mood and weight loss.
Here is my food plan for today.
- B: 1 scoop Syntrax nectar whey protein drink with 3tsp magnesium citrate and 2oz liquid vitamins, vitB12.
- L: 1 Profect bullet protein drink
- D: 1 scoop ON whey protein drink with 1/2c soy milk and 2tbs natural peanut butter and 1 tsp 100% cocoa and 2 packets Splenda with ice blended in a blender
- Metabolic: 1 Profect bullet protein drink
This provides 654 cals, 22.3g fat, 26.8g carb, 92.2g protein.
StomaphyX Post Op Day 3
I guess that the slow-paced 50min walk I took yesterday helped because I am down 4lbs overnight. Woo hoo! StomaphyX is working.
I had headaches yesterday when I ate dinner... perhaps I put too much in my new StomaphyX pouch at once. I will slow it down today. The nutritionist recommended 2 oz at a time until my protein drink was finished, not to take longer than 2hrs to consume.