PLEASE READ THIS...
Why weight loss surgery fails, and why I didn't!
In 2003, I made a decision that would forever change my life. Since that time, I have been following a program of lifetime obesity disease management to sustain long term weight loss. It began with bariatric surgery (gastric bypass surgery) followed by changing the way I eat, mild exercising, and attending a support group (NOT my surgeon's support group). Today, I'm a size medium and living life larger than ever!
Weight loss surgery is only a tool. And I am determined to make my tool work for me for the rest of my life. I believe that weight loss surgery failure is due to a lack of education for both the surgeon and the patient on how to properly use this tool post operatively in the long term as part of a larger lifetime obesity management program that addresses the physical, mental, and spiritual issues surrounding this disease. My surgeon told me, "I do the surgery. The rest is up to you."
The following articles are lessons I've learned across the nearly 9 years of My Bariatric Life. They will give you a good foundation for following a healthy and delicious bariatric lifestyle for the rest of your life. My wish is to help you on your own path of lifetime obesity disease management with shareposts along the way to help you navigate that path successfully. Laugh, learn and enjoy the journey!
Start Here - This Sharepost can change your life!
- My Bariatric Life: How Did America's Obesity Epidemic Begin?
- Eating After Weight Loss Surgery is Similar to USDA's New MyPlate
- My Bariatric Life: Why Weight Loss Occurs from Obesity Surgery (gastric bypass)
- My Bariatric Life: Surviving Chubby
- My Bariatric Life: My Decision to Have Weight-Loss Surgery (aka Bariatric Surgery, Obesity Surgery)
- My Bariatric Life: Why Weight-Loss Surgery Fails, and Why I Didn't
- My Bariatric Life: My Life after Weight-Loss Surgery is Wonderful
- My Bariatric Life living life after weight-loss surgery: How Will You Fill-in Your Dash?
- My Bariatric Life: The Seven Virtues of Weight-Loss Surgery Patients
- The Good Life after Weight-Loss Surgery: Steering Clear of Emotional Eating during the Holidays
- The Good Life after Weight-Loss Surgery: Portion Control Over the Holidays
Resources and Tools
- My Bariatric Life the tools I use: FitDay.com Food and Exercise Planner and Calculators
- My Bariatric Life the tools I use: Overeaters Anonymous
- My Bariatric Life the Tools I Use: "The Success Habits of Weight-Loss Surgery Patients" Book
Recipes and Meal Ideas
- My Bariatric Life weight-loss maintenance recipe: OMG! Almond Joy Protein Bar
- My Bariatric Life weight-loss maintenance recipe: Ricotta Protein Pancakes
- My Bariatric Life weight-loss recipe: Fruity Protein Shakes, Orange Creamsicle and Pina Colada
- My Bariatric Life living life after weight loss surgery: Mark Sisson's Primal Cookbooks (grain-free)
- My Bariatric Life living life after weight loss surgery: Enjoy Grain-free, Low-Carb Summer Picnics!
- My Bariatric Life living life after weight loss surgery: Grain-free Baked Goods and Dessert Recipes
- Weight-loss maintenance recipes: Too Good to be True Holiday Brownies, Fudge, & Cookies from Beans!
- My Bariatric Life living life after weight-loss surgery: Facebook & Easy Tricks to Sneak-in Exercise
- The Good Life After Weight-Loss Surgery: MBSR is a Tool to Make You Feel More Alive
- My Experience with Mindfulness Meditation
- The Tools I Use: Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Meditation
- Living Life After Weight-Loss Surgery: Stress Over-Eating Remains a Pitfall
- Divorce Rates Soar Within Two-Years After Weight-Loss Surgery; Its Not Necessarily a Bad Thing
- Are You at Risk for Alcohol Abuse After Weight-Loss Surgery?
- Simple Solutions for Obesity Surgery Patients Faced with Alcohol Abuse or Dependence
Please "heart" this article to support future weight-loss surgery topics on HealthCentral. Thank you!
You can read about my decision to have weight loss surgery back in 2003 and my journey to maintain a lifetime of obesity disease management since that time. My wish is to help you on your own journey of lifetime obesity disease management with shareposts along the way to help you navigate that journey successfully.
Published On: January 11, 2012