Grain-free, Nut-free Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
Since I am not allergic to nuts, I added 1/4 c of chopped walnuts to my batch of grain-free chocolate chip cookies (recipe below).
I enjoy developing healthy, wholesome recipes. Here is my adaptation of chocolate chip cookies from Against All Grain that are grain and nut-free, making them perfect for folks following one of the many popular grain-free diets - including a bariatric diet - who also have a sensitivity to nuts.
I thoroughly enjoy these cookies at Christmas time with a cup of hot peppermint tea. My version is not as sweet as the original chocolate chip cookie, and as with most grain-free baked goods, they are a little drier. If you like your cookie sweet, then you may want to add an additional 2 TBS of honey.
These taste great right out of the oven with the chocolate gooey and melty, and they're really good from the fridge with the chocolate hardened.
Ingredients (yields 2 dozen)
1 stick of butter, preferably grass-fed, softened
2 large farm fresh eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup coconut palm sugar
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup potato flour
1/2 cup coconut flour + 2 tablespoons coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 bag of dark chocolate morsels
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cream the palm shortening, coconut sugar, honey, eggs, and vanilla until smooth and fluffy using a hand mixer.
3. Pour into the bowl of a stand mixer and add all of the flours, baking soda, and sea salt and mix until combined. Do not over mix.
4. Add the chocolate chips and pulse 2-3 times.
5. Roll the dough into small balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. The cookies don’t spread much so flatten them with your fingers or the palm of your hand to create the thickness you want.
6. Bake for 10 minutes, or until slightly golden around the edges.
7. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge.
Merry Christmas to all!
Living life well-fed,
My Bariatric Life
Published On: December 24, 2012