Quick Healthy Dinner: South African Smoke Chicken with Root Vegetables and Heirloom Tomato Salad
Quick Healthy Dinner:
South African Smoke Chicken with Root Vegetables and
Heirloom Tomato Salad
I want to share with you how to make real food, real simple. Achieving and maintaining long-term weight loss cannot be had through a fad diet or pill, or even just through bariatric surgery alone. It is had by replacing grains, refined sugars, and unhealthy fats with fresh, local and seasonal food that are chemical-free, sustainable, and nutrient-dense. By doing so, you lose weight, regain your health, and achieve a level of wellness never imagined.
I develop fast and simple recipes of typically five ingredients that can be prepared in about 30 minutes. That means getting back to basics and cooking good meals from scratch that can be practical for even the busiest of families. The following is just one example of a delicious meal that I threw together last night with fresh ingredients I had on hand.
South African Smoke Chicken with Root Vegetables
2-chicken legs, locally raised on pasture and free of hormones and antibiotics
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
South African Smoke Seasoning Blend (I use Trader Joe’s)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash, peel and dice the beet and turnip. Cut the onion into wedges.
- Add veggies to a baking pan and drizzle with EVOO. Mix to fully coat the veggies in the EVOO.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add the chicken legs on top of the veggies in the pan. Season both sides of the chicken with the seasoning blend.
- Bake for an additional 30-40 minutes, turning the chicken halfway through the cooking cycle.
Let the dish rest for 10 minutes on top of the stove before serving. The chicken will be crisp and the veggies will have caramelized in their own sugars.
Heirloom Tomato Salad
Variety of heirloom tomatoes
8 marinated Celigene mozzarella cheese balls (I use Trader Joe’s)
¼ of a California avocado, sliced or chunked
¼ of a small red onion, sliced
5-7 fresh basil leaves, torn
Sea salt to taste
Lime juice, a few drops
I had a nice variety of five heirloom tomatoes. I used less than half of each tomato cut into wedges to create a side salad for two people.
- Line a plate with the sliced avocado and red onion.
- Top with the heirloom tomatoes and mozzarella balls.
- Finish with the basil, sea salt, and lime juice.
- Drizzle with a few tablespoons of the marinade from the mozzarella cheese.
- Chill until ready to serve.
Living life well-fed,
My Bariatric Life
More shareposts from MyBariatricLife on HealthCentral
Follow MyBariatricLife on Twitter
Connect with MyBariatricLife on StumbleUpon