The combination of kale, red onion, fresh and dried fruit and sweetened almonds and a surprise ingredient – chia seeds -- makes for a knock-out salad. A citrus vinegar makes this raw salad refreshingly tart but the honey sesame almonds, dried cranberries and pear add a nice sweetness and crunch. It will hit the high note on your Thanksgiving spread with your vegetarian and meat-eating guests alike.
This autumnal salad features one of my new favorite salad greens: raw kale. My love of kale is no secret. But even though it is rising in popularity as a salad or smoothie ingredient, many people are unaware of its health attributes. Here are five health benefits of raw kale:
- It has more vitamin C than an orange
- Kale is a great source of alpha-linoleic acid (ALA), an omega-3 fatty acid
- It has the highest concentration of vitamin A among all leafy greens
- Kale is high in calcium
- It has plenty of phytonutrients like quercetin and sulphoraphane
Many of kale’s top health-promoting compounds are rendered more effective when you eat it in combination with another food. The acid from Trader Joe’s Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar helps make kale's iron more bioavailable as well. However kale is one of the most likely crops to have residual pesticides so buy it organic or grow your own.
Sweet and Tangy Raw Kale Salad with Citrus Vinegar Recipe
Sweet and Tangy Raw Kale Salad with Citrus Vinegar is pretty and it’s got the crunch of chia seeds and sesame honey almonds and chewiness of dried cranberries and creamy pears. You don’t have to wait for Thanksgiving to serve it to your family. I developed this recipe tonight and it was the perfect accompaniment to round out my dinner of Savory Roasted Chicken and Root Vegetables.
½ of a 10oz bag of raw, torn, organic kale (if using a head of kale remove the hard stems)
1 very small red onion, peeled, halved, sliced thinly
1 fresh pear, peeled, cored, quartered, sliced thinly
4 small handfuls of dried cranberries
4 small handfuls of Trader Joe’s Sesame Honey Almonds (or any sweetened nut)
Trader Joe’s Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar 8.45 fl.oz. (or any citrus vinegar)
1 small handful of chia seeds
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Wash and pat dry the kale.
2. Prepare the red onion and the pear.
3. Combine all ingredients in a large salad bowl and toss with the cranberries and almonds.
4. Add just a touch of sea salt and black pepper.
5. Pour 1/3 bottle of the orange vinegar onto the salad and mix well.
6. Sprinkle the chia seeds on the very top of the salad. Do not mix.
7. Allow the salad to sit for 30-minutes. The vinegar will infuse and soften the kale.
Get more healthy recipes: 25 Recipes for a Grain-free Thanksgiving
Living life well-fed,
My Bariatric Life
See shareposts from MyBariatricLife on HealthCentralFollow MyBariatricLife on Twitter
Connect with MyBariatricLife on StumbleUpon
HuffPost Healthy Living 6 Things You Don’t Know About Kale
Published On: November 10, 2013