• backtoback backtoback
    January 24, 2011
    I got out of my car at work and slipped on the ice...did not fall to the ground but was "jolted". It has been 4 days and it is feeling a bit better but at all fully. I am worried this may come back?
    backtoback backtoback
    January 24, 2011
    I have never ever had back problems prior. I am just turned 50. What can I do to be sure I do as much as possible. The pharmacist said to go to the chiropractor. I am on jury duty for the next 2 wks..trial has started. How can I stay comfortable? READ MORE


  • Christina Lasich, MD
    Health Pro
    January 27, 2011
    Christina Lasich, MD
    Health Pro
    January 27, 2011

    The best thing to do for a tweaked, twinged, jolted back is some gentle tractioning periodically throughout the day. Tractioning is a way to gently stretch the back out, relieving pressure and allowing joints to re-adjust. My favorite methods include:


    1)Laying over an exercise ball, belly down

    2)Hanging from a door or high bar, allowing the body to dangle

    3)Putting all my weight through my arms/hands (the hands are either on the arm rests or on the seat pan) while seated, lifting the butt and allowing the torso to dangle


    A chiropractor or physical therapist should be able to show you how if you need guidance. Tractioning is the best way to get the back out of a jam.


    Dr. Christina Lasich, MD


You should know Answers to your question are meant to provide general health information but should not replace medical advice you receive from a doctor. No answers should be viewed as a diagnosis or recommended treatment for a condition. Content posted by community members does not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media, which also reserves the right to remove material deemed inappropriate.