Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 eliee, Community Member, asks

Q: leg and joint pain

just wanted to ask a question, i have been getting pain in my legs and arms
(but the worst is in my ankles knees and wrists) for a couple of months and i am not sure what it is, i went to the doctors and he said it could just be the cold weather as my pain has gotton worse over the last few weeks, but i feel like it is more than that and the pain is annoying, just wondering if it could be oestoathritis, im not sure the full symtoms but that is kind of what it sounds like, i am just really worried and hope it isnt bone cancer as i am only 21, also i had a baby 4 months ago and had a epidural could it be a long term side affect from that.

thanks for your time

Answer This
Answers (1)
Dr. Amy Thomas, Health Guide
7/16/08 10:09am

Given your age and other circumstances, cancer wouldn't be high on the list of possible explanations for your symptoms, and the locations you describe would be unusual for bone cancer. Also, given that your symptoms are in your upper body as well as your lower body it's unlikely they are related to your epidural.

Since you did just have a baby, it's likely you've started using muscles and joints that aren't usually very active. Are you holding the baby on one side/hip often, sleeping with the baby on one arm, or sleeping in an uncomfortable position to accommodate the baby in your bed? These activities can cause general aches and pains in your back, arms, and legs. Also, if you've gained some weight (as we all do during pregnancy) the extra pounds can contribute to increased stress on your joints.


One less likely possibility is that you're developing an inflammatory arthritis-or an autoimmune condition that sometimes shows up in the post-partum period.
I suggest re-evaluating your daily activities and altering your habits to see if this reduces your discomfort. You can also take Tylenol or Motrin which are both safe for nursing mothers. If this continues for more than another few weeks you should return to your internist or general practitioner for evaluation as this would be outside your obstetrician's scope of practice.

Answer This

We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.

By eliee, Community Member— Last Modified: 11/16/10, First Published: 06/25/08