The following tips can help you avoid falls.
Take care of yourself
- Be sure your diet contains the recommended amounts of calcium and vitamin D
- Exercise to minimize bone loss, improve strength, and balance. Try to engage in weight-bearing exercises.
- Eliminate smoking and excessive alcohol use which cause bone loss and increase your risk for a fracture.
Make your home safe
- Remove raised doorway thresholds, throw rugs, and clutter
- Repair loose stairway rugs or boards
- Keep electrical and telephone cords out of walking paths
- Install a night-lights in areas such as hallways and bathrooms
- Do not stand on unsteady stools, chairs, ladders, etc.
- Use nonskid floor wax
- Clean up spills, dropped food, etc, from the floor immediately
Prevent falls when bathing
- Install grab bars on the walls around the around the bathtub
- Use a long-handled brush or mittens with straps to help with bathing
- Place slip-resistant rugs inside the shower/tub and next to the bathtub for safe exit and entry
- Use shower chairs or bath benches
Prevent outdoor falls
- Use a cane or walker as needed
- Walk on the grass when the sidewalks are slippery
- Sprinkle salt or cat litter on slippery steps and sidewalks if you live somewhere where there is snow or ice in the winter
Published On: March 05, 2007