Tips for a Bone Safe—Fracture-Free—Halloween
Here are some tips you can use on Halloween to avoid injuries and enjoy your time out while celebrating Halloween with your family and friends.
- Wear comfortable shoes that provide good traction 
- Carry a flash light to avoid obstacles that could cause you to fall or worse, break a bone
- Looking both ways while crossing the street is a wise old adage that we should use at all times; especially when there is a lot of traffic on Halloween
- Warm clothing helps keep your muscles from becoming tense. If your muscles are not relaxed it can affect your balancing abilities which you need while walking long distances and around a busy street 
- Don’t wear costumes that interfere with your vision
- Avoid houses that are not well-lit. Walking in an unfamiliar area, in the dark, can cause accidents that result in injuries
- Don’t rush. Plan ahead so you aren’t taking unnecessary risks in your environment. Take short steps with your toes pointed slightly outward to maintain a stable base of support (American Bone Health 2013).
Enjoy your night out with your children and friends! Halloween is a great time to get together with your neighbors and family, so make it a bone safe and wonderful outing for all.
Halloween Tips, American Bone Health.org, October 2013 http://www.americanbonehealth.org/