Thursday, October 30, 2014
Don't let RA limit your routineLearn more now about a treatment that may help
Tuesday, July 15, 2008 Carol, Community Member, asks

Q: What are alternative treatments for replacing prilosec?

I have slight osteoporosis and have been taking high doses of prilosec for years.  I am postmennopausal.

Answer This
Answers (1)
Casey McNulty, Health Pro
7/24/08 4:31pm

Hi Carol,


Thank you for your question! Prilosec belongs to the class of medications known as proton pump inhibitors (PPIs). Other PPIs include Prevacid, Nexium, Protonix, and Aciphex, but Prilosec is the only one that is available over the counter.  I hope this helps!


Best of luck,


RJ, Community Member
6/ 8/10 10:55am

In light of the link between PPIs and osteoporosis, what treatements are available besides PPIs?

Answer This

We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.

By Carol, Community Member— Last Modified: 06/20/12, First Published: 07/15/08