Friday, October 31, 2014
Don't let RA limit your routineLearn more now about a treatment that may help
Saturday, January 10, 2009 Donna Snyder, Community Member, asks

Q: What kind of doctor should I look for to monitor my osteopenia so it doesn't become osteoporosis?

Answer This
Answers (1)
Pam Flores, Health Guide
1/10/09 8:13pm

Hi Donna:  Any Dr can treat osteopenia or osteoporosis, but if you are looking for a specialist that's usually a Endocrinologist, Rheumatologist, OB GYN.  There are some others that specializes but are harder to find and may not be for your age range, like a Geriatrician.


You can look up Drs. that are recommeded by the National Osteoporosis Foundation at this link.  Click on the text, at the link, that says: "Find a Dr. or Other Health Care Provider..." If you don't find someone listed in your area at the NOF, I would talk to your primary care doctor and ask if they would be of help.  If you don't have a primary, you can always call the physicians referral department at any of your local hospitals, they're usually very helpful.  Generally you look for a specialist to determine if you have a secondary cause for osteopenia/osteoporosis, that requires a specialty in another area, but it's really up to you who you decide to see.


Good luck...

Answer This

We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.

By Donna Snyder, Community Member— Last Modified: 12/22/10, First Published: 01/10/09