Sorry you have bronchitis, Leslie. I know you want to continue your Humira, but I believe the GP doc you saw gave you some good advice. Not supposed to take bios when you have an infection, viral or bacterial. Sounds like you have all the meds you need to get better. You don't want the bronchitits to turn into pneumonia. Let us know what your Rheumy says, sweetie. And please let us know how you are doing.
Sending you some virtual chicken soup!
It's always hard when you have to stop your RA medications because of an infection. But the truth is, our bodies just don't have it in them to fight off infections when we are taking our medications because they suppress the immune system. So it's always best to call your doctor and ask if you should stop your meds when you have a fever or infection so you don't end up with something worse, like pneumonia.
I almost always end up with a flare after I get rid of an infection and am able to start back on my meds, but the good thing is flares always end sometime, so there is hope on the horizon to feel better all the way around when you listen to what your body needs more.
Take care of yourself and feel better soon!
so sorry to hear that you're having extra health problems. I hope it gets better soon.
It is unfortunate that this is happening relatively early on in taking Humira. When you have taken the medication for while, you can usually skip a dose , without it affectingyou because the medication. In your body. However, Humira takes 2-3 months to reach full strength, so you're just at the beginning of building up the medication. Still, it could be that you're able to delay the dose with not too much impact. I recommend that you call your rheumatologist to ask their advice. Most family doctors here immunosuppressants and get nervous, especially when you have another illness. However, rheumatologists often more relaxed - for instance, mine tells me that unless I am running a fever, I don't have to skip my dose of Humira if I'm not feeling well. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. There is the added wrinkle of you having bronchitis. I suspect your rheumatologist would recommend that you delay Humira until that is dealt with - you don't want to mess with lung issues when you have RA.
When you feel better, talk to your doctor about getting a pneumonia vaccine, as well as a flu vaccine. It's also a good idea to keep your tetanus shot up-to-date. These three vaccines are important tools for people who are on immunosuppressants.
Hang in there - you'll be able to get back on Humira soon area. Please keep us posted on how you do.
We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.