• Nanamom Nanamom
    August 13, 2009
    What type of tennis shoes should I buy for walking?
    Nanamom Nanamom
    August 13, 2009

    I am going on a trip and will be doing lots of walking.  I only wear tennis shoes because of the pain in legs and feet, due to RA.  The last time I did a lot of walking I paid for it the whole night.  What type of shoe do you all recommend?


    Thank you,




  • Lene  Andersen
    Health Guide
    August 26, 2009
    Lene  Andersen
    Health Guide
    August 26, 2009

    tennis shoes aren't always the best use for people with RA. You may need shoes with more support and I would suggest that you ask your doctor for a referral to a podiatrist who can set you up with some orthotic inserts for running shoes.


    finding shoes can be really hard when you have RA, but there are a number of good places out there to get shoes that are comfortable, provide good support and look stylish, too. Check out BarkingDogShoes (for a review of one particular model, click here) Easy Spirit and Walking on A Cloud (it's a Canadian store, ships to the US, but you may want to use it more for research to find out what brands are available - I've worn nothing but Clark's and Ecco for years).  You can also look up shoe stores that specialize in wide sizes in the Yellow Pages - they often have the kinds of shoes that are comfortable for people who have RA.


    I hope you have a great trip!


You should know Answers to your question are meant to provide general health information but should not replace medical advice you receive from a doctor. No answers should be viewed as a diagnosis or recommended treatment for a condition. Content posted by community members does not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media, which also reserves the right to remove material deemed inappropriate.