I can answer some things in this question and some things maybe not for more detailed info you could get in touch with the national alliance for the mentally ill (NAMI).
My thoughts and opinions requarding your question is: These are possibilities I can't answer for everyone
1. Sometimes people don't want to admit that they are ill and they get embarresed by the disease because they know people will treat them different because they seen it happen to others before they got ill. Some friends are no longer friends I think because they won't try to find out about the illness because they are embarresed to have friends with sz they was'nt true friends they let stigma and ignorance ruin their relationship. Real friends stay true and help you thru.
2. Some people have caring close bonded relationships with their families ties that last no matter what. ( This really helps)
3. Some people have different personalities I personally think this means a bit of the outcome but not all of it.
4. This should maybe be the first one on the list Medication, Some medications help some symptoms not all of them. There is a last resort med that helps almost everyone however it does not come at an easy price because people on it have to have blood tests called cbc or complete blood counts in order to get their meds. Most of the other meds help alot of people but for the people who are medicine resistant(meds not working) there is a last resort med. And that med can really be dangerous more than the other treatments there is a possibility it can cause blood disorder that affects the White blood count. from my understanding Something like luekemia.
5. Alot of people with sz are outgoing this makes them want to live independently, work and do what they can do and not worry about what people think
6. They have to make sure their intended employers don't know they have sz or they won't get hired because of STiGmA
7. People who had good communication skills, life skills etc. from what I've noticed seem to bounce back a little better along with real love from family and friends.
I hope this helps I can't talk for everyone but I know and have seen this much hope it helps