• Sharon Stewart Lodat Sharon Stewart Lodat
    May 10, 2010
    Cant i get help by the goverment as a cargiver for my 22 year old son that has autism as well as now
    Sharon Stewart Lodat Sharon Stewart Lodat
    May 10, 2010

    Im a single widow mom that has taken control of my son thats 22 years of age without any help from the goverment as to having himliving home with me and endagering my life just to keep my boy here since he had alot of problems since birth? Suacidel, autisim, and now found out after him trying to jump out of my car as i  was driving 60 iles on a highway and almost thought i was going to have a heart attack. Again back in the hospital and more money for mom to put out just because i love my son so much, but need more help finacially so we can still remain in our home here that me and my passed husband had built for us to live in. I need some good adive, am i m just getting my son his one check for him from disabilty and nothing for the mom that has stopped my life just to take care of my loved son.? Dont the goverment have to give me help for having him home with me and chancing my life as to him maybe killing me one day? Please help me with some answers. Sorry if im miss spelling but he is home and its so hard for me to just have quiet time without my son going on and on about the same things very minute. Great young man, just sooooo sad that now this hit him. I need help with a professinal that knows more of what i can do or if i can get or should have been getting help from the goverment for keeping my son home with me where i want him to be instead of a dam group home and no son to come home too?

    Need your opinion. Please. LOnely mom that dont know cwhere to turn anymore.



  • Christina Bruni
    Health Guide
    May 11, 2010
    Christina Bruni
    Health Guide
    May 11, 2010

    Hello Sharon,


    You love your son and want to do what you feel is best for him.  I understand that he has some limitations in functioning and you want to provide for him because those problems might have been there since he was a young kid.


    I also understand how you feel about needing to be there for your son throughout his life.


    A disclaimer: I'm not a professional with a degree or license.  I'm someone who was diagnosed with schizophrenia when I was 22 years old and I've been the community leader and expert blogger for this web site for four years.


    I'm sorry to tell you how I feel because I've been criticized for my opinion in the past.  It is this: a person diagnosed with schizophrenia needs to be able to function and be self-reliant.  I often recommend a halfway house or supported living or in some cases a good reputable group home with caring professional staff.


    What you could see about doing right now to get financial assistance is to possibly declare your son as a dependent on your income tax returns and deduct the expenses you pay for his care and the cost of any medical treatments and other services not covered by Medicare of Medicaid or his government disability benefits when you itemize your expenses on the tax returns.


    This is going to sound like a stretch however I also always maintain that parents who are caregivers take time out for themselves to rest and recharge their own batteries.  In some cities and towns in America there are mental health respite services where a mother or father can have a peer with a diagnosis come over to the house to spend time with their son or daughter while the parent goes out for the day or evening.


    You cannot do this alone.  I suggest you contact NAMI to find a family support group in your city or town if you live in the U.S.  Call them at (800) 950-NAMI (6264) to get the name and number of your local affiliate.


    In addition you can write SharePosts here to get support and feedback as you navigate living with your son who has mental health concerns.


    Like I said I'm not a fan of adult children with schizophrenia living at home.  This is how I feel.  I lived in a halfway house for a year and then in supported living for just under two years.  My disability check paid for this housing.


    At any rate should you really not want to go this route I recommend your son get help that can assist him in his recovery.  For that I would consider finding a good day program for him where he can be with other people who have mental illnesses during the day to get therapy and support.  Sometimes a day program will have a psychiatrist on staff to prescribe the meds so that you don't have the extra expense of a private doctor.  A day program is often paid by Medicaid.  At least when I attended the day programs for two years Medicaid paid for the programs and even gave me money for bus tokens to and from the day program.


    Right now I'm going to ask the other parents who contribute to this web site to chime in with their own suggestions.  They will I'm sure give you their own take on how to navigate living with a son who has schizophrenia.







You should know Answers to your question are meant to provide general health information but should not replace medical advice you receive from a doctor. No answers should be viewed as a diagnosis or recommended treatment for a condition. Content posted by community members does not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media, which also reserves the right to remove material deemed inappropriate.