• Sarabi Sarabi
    February 01, 2011
    How to go about finding a group home or assisted living?
    Sarabi Sarabi
    February 01, 2011

    I'm a paranoid schizophrenic and my doctors say I need a caregiver and can not live alone.  I'm thinking of moving in to a group home or assissted living, but I'm not sure what that entails or how to go about it, and am wondering if anyone can tell me about that?  Also, how do I go about finding one?  I live in Kansas have medicaid and SSI, and am legally disabled. 



  • Christina Bruni
    Health Guide
    February 07, 2011
    Christina Bruni
    Health Guide
    February 07, 2011

    Hello Sarabi,


    It is possible to find a good group home with caring, professional staff.  this will take research and could take time while you view residences to see which one you get the best feel for.


    Two things you can do.  Log on to the United Way resource locator to find the phone number of the agency in your city or area that could give you info about housing options.  Or call NAMI to get the name and phone number of your local chapter where you can contact its members who might be able to give you a referral to a good housing option.  Ring NAMI at (800) 950-NAMI (6264) to get this information.  They are the National Alliance on Mental Illness.


    I wish you good luck with your search.





You should know Answers to your question are meant to provide general health information but should not replace medical advice you receive from a doctor. No answers should be viewed as a diagnosis or recommended treatment for a condition. Content posted by community members does not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media, which also reserves the right to remove material deemed inappropriate.