Sunday, October 26, 2014
Monday, November 09, 2009 patlindsturner, Community Member, asks

Q: im having dark brown discharge and pain in my lower abdomen and cramps what could it be?

Answer This
Answers (1)
Paul, Community Member
11/10/09 1:12pm

I can refer  you to this article about discharges, which states in part:


"Spotting Blood/Brown Discharge: This may occur when you are ovulating/mid-cycle. Sometimes early in pregnancy you may have spotting or a brownish discharge at the time your period would normally come. If you have spotting at the time of your normal period rather than your usual amount of flow, and you have had sex without using birth control, you should check a pregnancy test."


But since you are having pain and cramps you should be seen by a doctor who can conduct a pelvic exam. There is more information in that article but pain unlike that which you experience around your period is a signal to be seen by a doctor. It can also be other things, like fibroids or cysts, or something else.

Answer This

We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.

By patlindsturner, Community Member— Last Modified: 12/27/10, First Published: 11/09/09