• laura_v laura_v
    May 02, 2009
    What would cause pain after urination if you do not have an infection?
    laura_v laura_v
    May 02, 2009


    For 11 years now, I have had extreme pain after urinating. I've increased my consumption of water, but it still hurts. When this first began to happen, I told my doctor about it, and she just told me to use a 'barrier' cream. I did and it worked for a few years, but now the cream has stopped working and other symptoms have popped up. The pain after urination occurs every time I use the bathroom and sometimes when I don't use the bathroom. There is also swelling and unbelievable shooting pains in the urethra area when I insert a tampon or any pressure is applied to the area. I, of course, told my new doctor about this, but he told me it was all due to a yeast infection and gave me a very expensive medication to use. This medication did nothing. All of my symptoms are still happening, and if anything, they are happening more often and worse. Could this be a urinary tract infection? Or something else? I'm trying to get a gynaecologist to see if he/she can find the solution to my problem. Is this the right move, or should I see a urologist?



  • James Leary
    August 13, 2014
    James Leary
    August 13, 2014



    I am so sorry that you've had to deal with that kind of pain for so long.  I imagine that is very frustrating!  I think Paul is right in that seeing other doctors is the right move.  I am not a doctor and can't diagnose you, so I don't have much to add in terms of possible diagnoses.  I just wanted to check in and see how you are doing.


    Please consider returning to the site to let us know how you are doing.  I'm sure what you've learned by visiting the specialist would be of help to others on the site.


    Best of luck,



    Women's Sexual Health Quiz

    Five Steps to a Healthier Sex Life

    Top Ten Sexual Health Resources



  • Paul May 02, 2009
    May 02, 2009

    I'm so sorry you have had to put up with this for so long.

    It does not sound like you have had many, if any, diagnostic tests performed.


    Can't tell you whether a gynecologist could help you, certainly may, it sounds like a urologist would be more specific. There is no way of knowing exactly what is causing your pain, whether bacterial or physical in nature, until a thorough exam is made and relevant tests run. I think you are making a good decision in seeing a specialist.




You should know Answers to your question are meant to provide general health information but should not replace medical advice you receive from a doctor. No answers should be viewed as a diagnosis or recommended treatment for a condition. Content posted by community members does not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media, which also reserves the right to remove material deemed inappropriate.