• dancer_7958 dancer_7958
    September 02, 2010
    that isn't my hyman
    dancer_7958 dancer_7958
    September 02, 2010

    I had my first gynecologist visit this morning, and she told me that I have a "skin tag" that isn't my hyman. She suggests I get it removed.  How would they do something like that, and will it be painful? I've never been sexually active, which she says is a very good thing with this tag in place. It stretches completely across my vagina from top to bottom. I've never had a pap smear before, and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. It was the worst pain I'd ever been in. The way she described it, basically, is that my vagina is only half of the size it should be due to this thick piece of skin "cutting" it in half, making her only be able to use one side or the other for access. She suggests I come back and let her remove it, but I'm scared because this was such a painful experience today. Anyone know how they would do this or what other options I have?




  • Paul September 03, 2010
    September 03, 2010

    You need to ask the doctor how she intends to remove it. You can then, if you wish, get a second opinion from a surgeon who has experience with this area.


    There is always an exception, but pain management has taken a high priority in most hospitals, if it involves outpatient surgery, and I think with most doctors in their offices. There is no reason for you to endure a lot of pain, if any.


    First you need to find out exactly what the surgery entails, what exactly will they do? What the options are, if any? Ask specifically about pain management and how they intend to keep you comfortable, and how long is the recovery period? What can go wrong? What will they do in case there is a problem. Any question you can think of, write down and ask the doctor. Most of them prefer you ask questions beforehand. Ask about whether your insurance will cover this.


    There an extensive article on skin tags from Medicinenet.com. It is general, remember you are unique and each case is different, but maybe something will help from there. Good luck.

You should know Answers to your question are meant to provide general health information but should not replace medical advice you receive from a doctor. No answers should be viewed as a diagnosis or recommended treatment for a condition. Content posted by community members does not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media, which also reserves the right to remove material deemed inappropriate.