FROM OUR EXPERTS
Poison ivy rash is allergic contact dermatitis caused by a substance called urushiol, found in the sap of poison ivy. This same substance can be found in other plants as well, notably poison oak, and poison sumac. Urushiol is a colorless, or slightly yellow oil that oozes from any cut, or crushed, part of the plant, including both stem and leaves. Simply brushing against a plant may not cause a reaction. On the other hand, you may develop dermatitis without ever coming into contact with poison ivy, because the urushiol is so easily spread. Sticky, and virtually invisible, it can be carried on the fur of animals, on garden tools, golf balls, or on any objects that have come into contact with a broken plant. After exposure to air, urushiol turns a brownish-black, making it easier to spot, and is neutralized to an inactive state by water. Once it touches the skin, the urushiol begins to penetrate in a matter of minutes. In those individuals who are sensitive to the chemical, reaction will ap...
Definition Poison ivy , oak, or sumac poisoning is an allergic reaction that results from touching the sap of these plants. The sap may be on the plant, in the ashes of burned plants, on an animal, or on other objects that came in contact with the plant, such as clothing, garden tools, and sports equipment. Small amounts of sap can remain under a person's fingernails for several days unless it is deliberately removed with very good cleaning. This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222. Alternative Names Poison oak; Poison sumac; Sumac - poisonous; Oak - poisonous; Ivy - poisonous Poisonous Ingredient One poisonous ingredient is the chemical urushiol. Where Found Bruised roots, stems, flowers, leaves, fruit Pollen of poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.
The poison ivy plant has an oil, called urushiol, which some people are sensitive to. When those individuals come in contact with the oil, they develop a red, itchy rash. Poison ivy has been around for a long time and you may be familiar with the uncomfortable, itchy feeling you have when you have come in contact with the plant, however, the following facts about poison ivy rashes may help you better control and cope with a developing rash.
Poison ivy, along with poison oak and sumac, are caused by sensitivity to the oils found on the leaves of these plants. These oils immediately begin soaking into your skin and the rash appears anywhere between 12 and 72 hours after exposure to the oils and can last up to 8 weeks. The length and severity of the rash is dependent on how much oil is absorbed by your skin.
Often, you will develop a rash after accidently touching a poison ivy plant, however, the oils from the plant may also rub off on clothing or on pets and touching these...
You should know
Answers to your question are meant to provide general health information but should not replace medical advice you receive from a doctor. No answers should be viewed as a diagnosis or recommended treatment for a condition. Content posted by community members does not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media, which also reserves the right to remove material deemed inappropriate.