Friday, October 31, 2014
Thursday, September 02, 2010 David, Community Member, asks

Q: I have a dime size swollen bump on the inside of my butt cheek its painfull Im thinking it could be an infected hair Do you think this is possible

Answer This
Answers (1)
Merely Me, Health Guide
9/ 6/10 8:32pm

Hello David


Please know that I am not a doctor or a dermatologist.  Your guess could be right.  The fancy name for an infected hair follicle is folliculitis. 


Medline Plus has this advice about treating folliculitis:


"Hot, moist compresses may promote drainage of the affected follicles. Treatment may include antibiotics applied to the skin (mupirocin) or taken by mouth (dicloxacillin), or antifungal medications to control the infection."


It may be this and it may be something else entirely.  You won't know until you get it seen by a doctor. 


Hope you feel better soon.  Thank you for your question.

Answer This

We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.

By David, Community Member— Last Modified: 02/26/11, First Published: 09/02/10