Saturday, April 19, 2014

Vaginal Discharge

More Info

Monday, Aug. 27, 2007; 7:48 PM

Copyright Harvard Health Publications 2007

When To Call A Professional

If you had a previous yeast infection, and you have repeat symptoms that are similar, you can start treatment with an over-the-counter antifungal medication. If your symptoms don't improve, make an appointment to see your health care professional. See your health care professional regarding any new discharge that does not improve when you stop using potential irritants to the vagina. If you develop abdominal pain or a fever with a new vaginal discharge, you should be seen by a health care professional the same day.


Usually, the conditions that cause vaginal discharge respond to treatment within a few days. Atrophic vaginitis may take a few weeks to respond to hormone treatment because the vaginal layer takes time to strengthen. Occasionally, infections come back. Your health care professional may determine a more effective course of treatment, suggest ways to self-treat at home or help you to eliminate potential causes of infection.

Additional Info

National Women's Health Information Center (NWHIC) 8550 Arlington Blvd., Suite 300 Fairfax, VA 22031 Toll-Free: (800) 994-9662 Fax: (703) 560-6598 TTY: (888) 220-5446

Symptoms Checker
Get our Free Newsletter

Video of the Day

Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA) community members share their stories and discuss how treatment, medications and support have helped them cope and recover.More 

HealthCentral Network
Health Sites

view all conditionssee health library
  • Share this page:
font size A A A