Those of us who suffer from a mood disorder know that this is a serious illness. Depression can rob us of our relationships, work, career, passions and most importantly our joy for living. Likewise, therapy, used to treat our depression is serious hard work. Our mental health and wellness is critical for us and for our family and friends. Yet in all this seriousness I think it is important that we sometimes take a step back and appreciate the humor in all this. Yes humor. Laughter can sometimes save us in our darkest moments. In fact some say that laughter can be the best medicine. In this post I tried to find the most offbeat, humorous, and absurd quotes, jokes, and sayings about mental health. Enjoy
1. "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes." "• William Gibson (This quote happens to be my personal favorite)
2. My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of chips and a chocolate cake. I feel better already.
3. “Good morning, Eeyore,” said Pooh.
“Good morning, Pooh Bear,” said Eeyore gloomily.
“If it is a good morning, which I doubt,” said he.
“Why, what’s the matter?”
"Nothing, Pooh Bear, nothing.
We can’t all, and some of us don’t. That’s all there is to it.
" “Can’t all what?” said Pooh, rubbing his nose.
“Gaiety. Song-and-dance. Here we go round the mulberry bush.”
4. I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn’t met me yet.
5. Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane.
Philip K. Dick
6. I can sympathize with people’s pains but not with their pleasures. There is something curiously boring about somebody else’s happiness.
7. I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life’s realities.
8. Freud: If it’s not one thing, it’s your mother
9. “Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined.”
10. How many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb? Just one, but it takes nine visits.
11. “I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.”
Edgar Allen Poe
12. Reality is something you rise above.
13. When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
14. I quit therapy because my analyst was trying to help me behind my back. Richard Lewis
15. "Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing."
"• Margaret Chittenden
As an extra added bonus I found these visuals/videos/articles on mental health humor:
- Barney Stinson on the TV sitcom How I Met Your Mother on how he deals with sadness. True story!
- Cracked Magazine: 5 Scientific Reasons Your Idea of Happiness is Wrong
- Mad TV: The Anti-Depressercise Minute
If you have any quotes, jokes, videos, or spoofs on psychology, psychiatry, therapy, depression, or mental health please share them here in the form of a comment.
Please Note: Health Central is not responsible for the content of any external links. Read at your own discretion. What one person finds humorous, another may find offensive. Most types of humor run that risk.
For more posts on health and humor please refer to the following Health Central posts:
Your Diabetes Questions Answered (humor)
I am a mother, a writer, and now an MS patient