13 Humorous Mental Health Quotesby Anne Windermere Patient Advocate
Those of us who suffer from a mood disorder like depression or bipolar disorder know these conditions are serious. Depression can rob us of our relationships, work, career, passions and, most importantly, our joy for living.
Our mental health and wellness is critical for us and for our family and friends. Yet in all this seriousness I think it is important to take a step back and appreciate the humor in all this. Yes, humor.
Laughter can sometimes save us in our darkest moments. In fact, some say that laughter can be the best medicine.
Here, then, are 13 offbeat, humorous, and absurd quotes, jokes, and sayings about mental health to help you access the lighter side of depression.
1. "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes." - William Gibson (This quote happens to be my personal favorite)
2. "I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet." - Rodney Dangerfield
3. "Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane." - Philip K. Dick
4. "I can sympathize with people's pains but not with their pleasures. There is something curiously boring about somebody else's happiness." - Aldous Huxley
5. "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living. It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." - Dr. Seuss
6. "Freud: If it's not one thing, it's your mother." - Robin Williams
7. "Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined." - Samuel Goldwyn
8. How many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb? Just one, but it takes nine visits. - Author unknown
9. "I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allen Poe
10. "Reality is something you rise above." - Liza Minnelli
11. "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained." - Mark Twain
12. "I quit therapy because my analyst was trying to help me behind my back." - Richard Lewis
13. "Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing." - Margaret Chittenden