7/2/07 #8 - Hemicrania continua and Indocin?

Health Professional

Full Question:

I have recently been diagnosed with hemicrania continua, and my doctor has prescribed Indocin 50mg qid. He also put me on Protonix q am to go along with the Indocin. Are there any other treatments for hemicrania continua? I am seeing moderate success with the Indocin, but the GI side affects concern me. I also have difficulty fitting all four doses in the day. I don't want to eat a mini-meal at , but I'm afraid to just eat a cracker and take the Indocin. What is hemicrania continua, and will it ever go away, or am I fated to taking ulcer-causing medications the rest of my life? Melanie.


Dear Melanie;

Hemicrania continua (or chronic paroxysmal hemicrania) is a diagnosis most often tendered by headache specialists. Both are quite rare. It seems you might ask your treating physician about other treatment choices, since recently published case reports might offer treatment with newer anti-inflammatory agents, COX2 inhibitors (Celebrex). It seems the Indocin was originally the agent of choice for chronic paroxysmal hemicrania and also for hemicrania continua, a slightly different type of headache pattern. There have been a few case reports of other treatments for this rare condition. You can read more about hemicrania continua HERE.

Good luck,
John Claude Krusz and Teri Robert

If you need to find a headache and Migraine specialist, please see our listing of patient recommended specialists.

About Ask the Clinician:

Dr. Krusz is a recognized expert in the fields of headache and migraine treatment and pain treatment. Each week, he and Lead Expert Teri Robert, team up to answer your questions about headaches and Migraines. You can read more about Dr. Krusz or more about Teri Robert. If you have a question for this section of our site, please click HERE. Accepted questions will be answered by publishing the answers here. No questions will be answered privately.

Please note: We cannot handle emergencies or diagnose via the Internet. Please do not ask us to diagnose; see your physician for diagnosis.

We hope you find this general medical and health information useful, but this Q & A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. For all personal medical and health matters, including decisions about diagnoses, medications and other treatment options, you should always consult your doctor. See full Disclaimer.