I Have Had Allergic Like Symptoms Towards Static Electricity. When My Hair Gets Static In It, My Eyes Water, It Is Harder To Breath, And I Sneeze Like Crazy. Is This Real, Or Is It Just A Phobia?

Question

Asked by Tarica

I Have Had Allergic Like Symptoms Towards Static Electricity. When My Hair Gets Static In It, My Eyes Water, It Is Harder To Breath, And I Sneeze Like Crazy. Is This Real, Or Is It Just A Phobia?

When someone "shocks" me, the same symptoms occur. I am 16, and this has happened for as long as I can remember. The reason I wonder if it's all in my head, or just a phobia is because, it does indeed scare me because I have allergies pretty bad for animals as well, so it is just terrible to experience that. Anyway, also, my eyes don't only water when I am struck by static, but if anyone else near me has static on them, the symptoms occur the same way. So, my question is, am I allergic? or is it in my head?

Answer

It's possible that you are for whatever reason very sensitive to static electricity discharges. It's also true that anxiety about a reaction tends to increase the reaction - so your anxiety about these reactions could contribute to them as well.

Have you tried ways to reduce static electricity in your enviroment? Check out the link below for ways to do that.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5741385_reduce-static-electricity.html