Are Anti-inflammatories And Muscle Relaxants The Same Thing?


Asked by Kirk

Are Anti-inflammatories And Muscle Relaxants The Same Thing?


Hi Kirk,

Thank you for your question. Anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxants are two different types of medications. Anti-inflammatories are also known as NSAIDs, which stands for nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. This explains exactly what they are and what they do. NSAIDs are not steroids, and work to control inflammation. It's important to note that NSAIDs control only the symptoms of inflammation, not the actual cause. In order to control the cause - that is, RA - you need to be treated with DMARDs (disease modifying antirheumatic drugs) or Biologics.

Muscle relaxants, also known as skeletal muscle relaxants, work on the central nervous system to relax muscles. This type of medication is often used when someone has an injury related to muscles, such as strain or sprain. However, they can also be used in treating RA pain. When you have RA pain, it can often cause you to move differently or tense up and this is where muscle relaxants can be useful.

I hope this answers your question.

Best of luck,