Blacks, Asians have higher risk of diabetes at lower weights
Black and Asian adults may need to start worrying about developing diabetes at lower weights than white people.
That’s the conclusion of new research from the Institute of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences at the University of Glasgow, Scotland. The finding suggests that the definition of obesity should be different for different populations so that diabetes interventions can begin at an earlier stage.
For the study, the research team analyzed data on almost 500,000 middle-ages U.K. adults, 96 percent of whom were white. The remaining 4 percent included South Asian, black and Chinese adults. Five percent of the total group, or about 25,000 people, had diabetes. Compared to whites, nonwhite adults were at least twice as likely to have diabetes. Diabetes rates for white people with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30–the low threshold for obesity–were equal to diabetes rates for South Asians with a BMI of 22, black people with a BMI of 24, Chinese men with a BMI of 24 and Chinese men with a BMI of 26.
The researchers acknowleged that the findings need to be verified by a study that follows a group of people over time. But they hope that by establishing ethnicity-specific cutoffs for obesity, the research will help make doctors aware that diabetes risk can be heightened at much lower BMIs for some ethnic groups and that they can begin giving lifestyle advice and screening for diabetes at lower weights for adults in those groups.
NEXT: A vacation hangover detox smoothie
Sourced from: Reuters, Weight associated with diabetes risk differs by ethnicity
Published On: July 10, 2014
Health most common major stressful event for Americans
This probably doesn’t come as a big surprise, but a lot of Americans say they’re stressed out. A new NPR/Robert Wood Johnson Foundation/Harvard School of Public Health poll reported 49 percent of Americans say they’ve undergone a major stressful event in the past year. Nearly half of them said it was related to health.
For people who experienced a stressful health event, 38 percent said it was their own health and 37 percent said it was the health of a family member. Other major stress factors included too many responsibilities and financial problems. Researchers pointed out that having people realize the frequency and causes of stress is a key step toward making changes in their lives that help reduce it.
People who are ill reported double the amount of stress in the past month. Other groups more likely to report stress included disabled people, people with chronic illness and single parents.
The poll reflected how much stress affects people’s emotional well-being, sleep and decision-making or concentration. Some steps people reported taking to help handle their stress included spending more time outdoors, taking up a hobby, socializing with friends and family, prayer or meditation.
NEXT: Seat belt patented: July 10, 1962
Sourced from: sciencedaily.com, Health most common major stressful event in Americans’ lives last year, poll finds
Published On: July 10, 2014