Button Batteries in Fidget Spinners Pose a Danger to Kids

iStock

Add button batteries to the list of growing concerns about the safety of fidget spinners – last year’s fad toy favorite. Swallowed button batteries causes esophageal burns, according to a new report in the Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition. Fidget spinners, which consist of piece that spins around a central bearing, are sometimes marketed as devices that help reduce anxiety in people with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), a claim that is largely unproven.

Fidget spinners also pose a choking hazard for toddlers and young children who may put them in their mouths. Models that light up also contain tiny lithium batteries, which pose an additional danger when the toys break. These batteries can also be found in cameras, watches, and remote controls.

A number of injuries from fidget spinners requiring emergency endoscopies – two of them involving deep burns of the esophagus – have been reported.

Sourced from: Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition