Can You Still Lose Stubborn Body Fat In Your 50's
I’m 55 years & old a mother of 4 kids. I finally decided that this was the year I was going to lose these extra 30 pounds I’ve been carrying around for decades especially around my waist.I’ve been working out diligently since the beginning of the year but not seeing much progress.Can Women over 50 still stubborn body fat?I’m not yet very convinced. - Rachael S.
Yes you absolutely can Many have and so can you.
You can definitely get into the best shape of your life and lose stubborn body fat even in your 50’s. But as you get older especially if you are starting from scratch (not really workout out that much in the past) it does get just a little more difficult especially for women because of menopause and hormonal changes at this time in your life as your body becomes just a little less forgiving with fat storage deposits. This means you need to be more diligent with your training and nutrition.
But please Rachael don’t confuse difficult with impossible. From your email you write “you are not convinced” about losing fat in your 50’s. This tells me you have a lot of doubt and you are approaching your fat loss half heartedly. If you look at your life you will see that any endeavor you have undertaken unenthusiastically has always yielded mediocre results. My message is believe it’s possible there are so many like you have gotten into their best bodies in their 50’s, so be convinced that you will lose the fat and give your training and nutrition program your whole.
For nutrition most important tips
- Break down your meals and eat 4-6 small meals per day instead of the usual 2 or 3 big meals
- Consume foods in their natural state or eat less processed foods.
- Don’t eat too much. Weight loss is mathematics & you have to burn more calories than you are consuming. Excess calories will get stored as fat.
For Training most important tips
- Most women over 50 see dramatic jaw dropping results with strength or resistance training. Lifting weights helps build muscle which will increase your metabolism making you burn more calories per day. For a free fantastic exercise library visit http://aarp.smarttrainingsystems.com/library/
- Don’t forget your cardio.
Health and Happiness
Kenn wrote for HealthCentral as a patient expert for Fitness & Exercise.