If you suffer from any type of phobia you are not alone. The National Institute of Mental Health reports that approximately 19.2 million American adults have some type of specific phobia. Phobias are defined as a marked or persistent fear and avoidance of a specific object or situation. The object of one's phobia can range from common fears such as the fear of heights to the unusual such as the fear of antique furniture. In this post we are going to share the phobias of the famous. In some small way it makes me feel better to know that I am not the only scaredy cat out there. Even famous celebrities battle anxiety disorders .
Here are some celebrity phobias that you may share in common. -** The Fear of Driving** In a 1976 People Magazine article Barbara Walters admits that she was afraid to drive. She spoke again about her fear of driving in her memoir, Audition. This is a phobia I share with Barbara and I wrote about my experience in my post entitled, Afraid to Drive.
- The Fear of Heights The fear of heights or acrophobia is one of the more common phobias. Celebrities who share this phobia include actor Liam Neeson and singer and songwriter, Sheryl Crow.
- The Fear of Flying In a previous post I wrote about my extreme fear of flying on airplanes. It seems I am definitely not alone in being a white knuckled flyer. My fear is shared with stars such as Jennifer Aniston, Cher, and Whoopi Goldberg. John Madden,the famous football coach and sports commentator, is so afraid of flying that he will only travel by bus. In fact his fear of flying has prevented him from ever doing any commentary during a Pro Bowl which was traditionally held in Hawaii.
- The Fear of Clowns Are you freaked out by clowns? They are kind of creepy aren't they? But some people are downright terrified of them. Sean "Diddy" Combs and Johnny Depp are two stars who are reportedly phobic of clowns. In an interview promoting the film "Sleepy Hollow" Depp confessed that clowns scare him because he feels that clowns have an underlying darkness and a potential for real evil.
- The Fear of Insects Do creepy crawly bugs make you squirm? Do you panic if you see a certain type of insect? Some celebrities also want to run for the hills if they see the object of their terror. It is reported that actress Scarlett Johansson is frightened of cockroaches. Nicole Kidman can't stand to be around butterflies. And Justin Timberlake fears spiders.
- The Fear of Animals Some of us panic when we see a certain type of animal. Many people are afraid of rats or snakes for example. Some celebrities have some rather unusual animal phobias. For example, Orlando Bloom is reportedly afraid of pigs. Cows terrify country singer, Lyle Lovett. And super model and host for America's Top Model, Tyra Banks, has a fear from childhood of porpoises and sea mammals.
The list goes on and on. Actor Billy Bob Thorton has a phobia of antique furniture. It is reported that he does not want anything older than fifty years old in his home. The lovely Pamela Anderson is frightened of mirrors. And actress Christina Ricci is terrified of plants. It seems that even the rich and famous are not immune to fears and phobias. We are all human after all.
Do you have any phobias? Care to share? Your story may just help someone else who is trying to overcome the same fear. We would love to hear from you.
For more stories about celebrities who have anxiety disorders please refer to the following articles: