This article first appeared on the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation website and is reprinted here with their permission.

Choosing a doctor that specializes in multiple myeloma is one of the most important decisions you will have to make. A specialized doctor, often called a hemtalogist-oncologist, will coordinate your care throughout the course of the disease. It is important to fine the best possible multiple myeloma doctor for your needs.

There are several ways to go about finding and choosing a hematologist-oncologist. Depending on your health insurance plan, you may need to get a referral from your family doctor, usually referred to as your primary care physician. Your primary care physician will generally know one or more hematologist-oncologists in your area who specialize in treating multiple myeloma. You can also go directly to your health insurance company and ask them for a list of hematologist-oncologists who are part of your health insurance plan.

In addition, several national groups’ websites can provide the names of hematologist-oncologist in your area.

Helpful resources

The Multiple Myeloma Research Consortium (MMRC), our sister organization, is made up of the nation’s top cancer centers specializing in multiple myeloma. Visit the Member Institutions page to learn more.

The American Society of Hematology’s “Find a Hematologist” page helps match patients with doctors who specialize in treating blood cancers.

Please take a moment and consider donating to the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation (MMRF). Follow this link and donate what you can.