CrossFit has become all the rage these days, but CrossFit gym memberships are anything but cheap. Reap the benefits of CrossFit exercises and save your wallet with these WODs (workout of the day) that you can do anywhere.
(Click to enlarge)
Guide to CrossFit workouts:
- WOD: Abbreviation used in CrossFit for “workout of the day”
- Thruster: Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, with a bar racked on your shoulders. Perform a front squat while simultaneously pushing the bar overhead, ending with the bar balanced over your heels. Here is a video of how to perform the thruster.
- Double under (DU): A DU is when, while jump roping, the rope passes underneath the feet twice during one jump. See the DU performed here.
- Air squat: Stand with feet shoulder-width apart with toes slightly pointed outwards. Keeping back straight, squat down until quads are parallel with the floor. Return to standing, squeezing glutes and hamstrings as you rise. See how to do a proper air squat here.
- Burpee: There are seven steps of a burpee, which include squatting, jumping and doing push ups—all in one move.
- Vertical jump: Do this plyometric move by standing with feet shoulder-width apart. Bend knees to about 90 degrees, then jump straight up as high as you can. Land back in starting position.
- Long jump: The long jump starts out like the vertical jump, but instead of jumping as high up as you can, you try to jump as far forward as you can.
- One-legged squat: The one-legged squat tests both strength and balance. Here is how to do a one-legged squat correctly.