Are There Any Excerises Out There To Keep My Fingers From Becoming Deformed?


Asked by Mia Nguyen

Are There Any Excerises Out There To Keep My Fingers From Becoming Deformed?

I've had RA for about over a year or so now and I've noticed that my pinky is a little deformed. The joint part of my pinky is slightly big and looks crooked.


I see from your profile that you're one of our younger users and I want to welcome you to MyRACentral! We're very glad to have you and very glad you're posting and participating in the community. We have a special reference area for teens and young adults who live with RA and you might find that interesting. I have had RA myself since I was a child so if you have any questions or just want to talk, feel free to ask them here, post a SharePost or message me directly. Be aware, though, that we seem to be having some issues with the message system on the site, so for now, you may be better off asking your questions in public.

In terms of preventing deformities... The first step is to make sure that your RA is well-managed and that means being on medication like methotrexate, Plaquenil or one of the Biologics. You mentioned in your profile that you are not on any medication currently and I would urge you to talk to your rheumatologist about finding a medication to treat your disease. Without it, you're vulnerable to damage in your joints that can lead to deformities. You have already started getting some alteration in your joints and without medication, you risk it getting much worse. There are many treatment options these days and there is no need for you to experience this kind of damage.

Other things that may help you are exercise and splints. Your best bet is to ask your doctor for a referral to physical therapist who can work with you to develop an exercise program that will keep you moving without putting undue stress on the joints. You may also want to check out my most recent post on physical therapy and RA for more information.

Looking forward to learning more about you.

Answered by Lene Andersen, MSW