Headache/pressure For 3 Months From Bleach Exposure--any Treatment?
Originally asked by Community Member jjbarela
Headache/pressure For 3 Months From Bleach Exposure–any Treatment?
I’ve had a strange headache for about 3 months. It began right after I was cleaning my bathroom tub with bleach and the fumes were quite strong. The next day I felt pressure in my head along with a headache. This headache has moved all over my head and can move quite quickly. It’s affected my face, top of my head, back of my head, sides, really anywhere. I’ve been to a neurologist a couple of times and he has only given me steroids which made me even sicker and dizzy. They didn’t change the headache in any way. He believes the pain is from hyperactive cells that have not shut off or calmed down. I’m at a loss of where to go now. Any clue what this could be or close to it? Has anyone heard of something like this?
If your doctor isn’t able to help, it may well be time to consult a Migraine and headache specialist. It’s important to note that neurologists aren’t necessarily Migraine and headache specialists. Take a look at the article Migraine and Headache Specialists - What’s So Special?
Chlorine gas can be very dangerous. I had a similar bleach experience myself. It was after that, I learned that bleach (made from chlorine) actually can affect the thyroid, among other parts of the body.
The thyroid uses iodine as fuel to make thyroid hormones. Chlorine (notice the same ending on the name?) has the ability to bind to the same receptors as iodine, but instead of acting like fuel, it prevents the thyroid from making thyroid hormone. The receptor is blocked and no iodine (fuel) can get in. This can result in low thyroid levels. Low thyroid levels are a known contributor to some headache disorders. This is why Migraine and headache specialists in the know will almost always carefully check for your thyroid levels when the symptom of headache has continued for some time.
Did your doctors test your thyroid levels? The appropriate tests doctors in the know use, are:
It takes a combination of these tests to correctly diagnose if this might be part of your problem.
Nobody can diagnose you via the internet, but sometimes we can tell you about our own experiences. In my case, I learned about what happened from an endocrinologist, and would suggest that you might want to consider seeking the help of one of these specialists who are trained in how to diagnose and treat these types of disorders
You should know Answers to your question are meant to provide general health information but should not replace medical advice you receive from a doctor. No answers should be viewed as a diagnosis or recommended treatment for a condition.
Answered by: Ellen Schnakenberg