Holiday Lights: How to Prevent Electrical Burns

With millions of Americans decorating their homes—inside and out—for the holiday season, strings of lights and extension cords running here and there throughout the house and yard are common at this time of the year. In homes with small children, parents and caregivers should be aware of the risk for oral electrical burns from children biting through these cords. Since 1997, more than 1,000 children in the U.S.—most, under the age of five—required emergency treatment for oral electrical burns.

Never use electrical cords with loose wires or damaged sockets. Check all light strings thoroughly—make sure they aren’t damaged or hot to the touch when they’re lit. Don’t run cords under rugs—this could cause them to overheat.

Most importantly: never leave small children unattended near holiday lights, electrical cords, or outlets. Be vigilant with pets as well—they too can be curious about your decorations. Have a safe—and bright—holiday season!

Sourced from ScienceDaily.