My Husband's BP Is 179/110, but He Feels Fine. Should We Go to the ER?


Asked by Cheryl

My Husband's Bp Has Been High 179 Over 110 For Months. He Feels Fine. Should We Go To The Er?

My husband has had a bp of 180/110 for months. Sometimes his bottom number has been as high as 119. He has seen the doctor and was prescribed medicine, Micardis, for his high bp. He says he feels fine and he won't take the meds. He has no symptoms. No headaches, dizziness, confusion. Nothing. His diet could be better, but he doesn't really eat that poorly, and he considers his work, sales, his exercise. He walks the equivalent of 3-4 miles every day. I am worried sick. Could this blood pressure rate just be normal for him? Thank you for your input.



Hello Cheryl,

No, you do not likely need to go to the ER for a blood pressure of 179/110, as he is not having symptoms, but that does not mean that your husband's blood pressure is not serious! In fact, high blood pressure is called the "silent killer" because it has no symptoms itself but can cause a wide variety of other diseases.

High blood pressure, especially significantly elevated blood pressure or stage II hypertension like your husband bp would be classified, is dangerous in the long term. While this may be your husband's "normal" pressure, it still puts him at significant risk for heart diseases like heart attacks and heart failure; kidney diseases including those requiring dialysis; and brain diseases like dementia and strokes.

The medication your husband's physician prescribed, Micardis or temlisartan is member of the angiotensen receptor blocker (or ARB for short) class of drugs; this medication is good at reducing blood pressure, and may have other beneficial effects on the heart and kidneys.

Your husband NEEDS to take medication to reduce this blood pressure to help prevent the above diseases. If he already has them, medications like the one prescribed can help slow the progression of high blood pressure related diseases.

You two should absolutely make an appointment with your husband's doctor to discuss his blood pressure issues soon!

To your health,

Neil MD

You should know: The answer above provides general health information that is not intended to replace medical advice or treatment recommendations from a qualified healthcare professional.