I Am Married To A Paranoid Schizophrenic And Have Filed For Divorce


Asked by Renny

I Am Married To A Paranoid Schizophrenic And Have Filed For Divorce

I am married to a lady who is paranoid schizophrenic and it seems that although her family members were aware of her being mentally ill they got her married. This was an arranged marriage and we could not find out about her disease unless we took her for a psychometric test as advised by one of the renowned psychiatrist of Pune. They had put her through the ink bloyd test and gave a confirmed certificate that she is a patient suffering from paranoid schizophrenia. Now I have filed for a divorce petition as my Uncle who's unmarried daughter had been diagnosed with the same disease claims that this marriage would not work as we would not be able to live a normal married life. Kindly advice whether the test which they had conducted is 100 percent genuine. Also I am interested to know whether this disease is completely hereditary or can get into any human being.



My friend Robin who was diagnosed with schizophrenia has been married for at least 25 years to the love of his life. He was also the CEO of a company and worked in Fortune 500 companies in the U.S. So this is to tell you that recovery and marriage and work and the other good things in life are possible for someone diagnosed with schizophrenia.

The lady you're talking about will need to take medication to control her symptoms and a psychiatrist will be the one to prescribe that medication. An inkblot test cannot confirm that someone has schizophrenia. Only direct observation of the behaviors and thoughts of a person can allow a psychiatrist to make the diagnosis of schizophrenia, for example, hallucinations like hearing voices or seeing objects that aren't there, delusions, and paranoia and other observable symptoms.

So really only a psychiatrist can make the diagnosis and treat the illness with medication.

I'll end by reminding you of my friend Robin who did very well even though he has schizophrenia.

Of course, it is your personal choice whether you continue or opt out of the marriage. See if you can get an annulment if possible instead of a divorce.



Answered by Christina Bruni