Good sleep is essential for optimal memory, but with the arrival of menopause, you might find it’s in short supply.
To relieve night sweats and sleep more soundly, try these tips:
1. Choose sheets and pajamas made from light, breathable fabrics.
2. Keep your room dark, quiet, and cool.
3. Get on a schedule. Try to go to bed at the same time each night and wake up at the same time each morning.
4. Follow a bedtime routine. Do something relaxing before bed, like meditating, taking a warm bath, or reading a book.
5. Don’t eat a big dinner before bedtime.
6. Limit fluids so you won’t have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. Avoid caffeine and alcohol, which can keep you awake.
7. Don’t smoke. Smoking can increase hot flashes.
Stephanie Watson has written about consumer health for nearly two decades. Her work has been featured in such publications as WebMD Magazine, Healthline, Harvard Health Publications, and Arthritis Today.