Migraines with falling and shaking?

Health Professional

Full Question:

I get Migraine Headackes alot, and then I fall and start shaking.   My nuoroloigst did a EEG and it came back all right.   Do you have any Idea? Alyssa.


Dear Alyssa;

What type of Migraines do you have? "Migraine" alone isn't a complete diagnosis as it doesn't specify what type of Migraines you have. You can read about various forms of Migraine in the articles on our index page for _Types of Migraines and Headaches _.

It's impossible to diagnose via the internet, but we'll share a few thoughts that you can discuss with your doctor...

  • One EEG doesn't necessarily rule out seizure disorders, so additional testing may be in order.
  • There is a form of Migraine that can cause weakness or even one-sided paralysis, hemiplegic Migraine. You can find an article on hemiplegic Migraine on the page linked above.
  • You say you get Migraines "a lot." Anyone with three or more Migraines or headaches a month, we need to be talking with our doctors about prevention, and please trust me when I tell you that you couldn't possibly have tried everything for prevention yet. There are now over 100 medications and supplements that can be used for Migraine and headache prevention. The frustration of trying to find what works for us can make it seem as if we've tried it all, but with so many possible preventives, it's literally impossible to have tried them all. See _Migraine preventive medications - too many options to give up! _ for more information.

If your doctor isn't able to help you, it may well be time to consult a Migraine and headache specialist. It's important to note that neurologists aren't necessarily Migraine and headache specialists. Take a look at the article Migraine and Headache Specialists - What's So Special? If you need help finding a Migraine specialist, check our listing of _Patient Recommended Migraine and Headache Specialists _.

Good luck,
John Claude Krusz and Teri Robert

To review other questions from our Ask the Clinician Column,

_browse the Ask the Clinician archives _.

If you need help finding a Migraine and headache specialist,

visit our listing of _Patient Recommended Specialists _.

About Ask the Clinician:

Dr. Krusz is a recognized expert in the fields of headache and Migraine treatment and pain treatment. Each week, he and Lead Expert Teri Robert, team up to answer your questions about headaches and Migraines. You can read more about Dr. Krusz or more about Teri Robert.

If you have a question, please click** HERE. Accepted questions will be answered by publishing the answers here. Due to the number of questions submitted, no questions will be answered privately, and questions will be accepted only when submitted via THIS FORM**. Please do not submit questions via email, private message, or SharePost comments. Thank you.

Please note: We cannot handle emergencies or diagnose via the Internet. Please do not ask us to diagnose; see your physician for diagnosis.

We hope you find this general medical and health information useful, but this Q & A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. For all personal medical and health matters, including decisions about diagnoses, medications and other treatment options, you should always consult your doctor. See full Disclaimer.

Follow Teri on     or