The way a woman walks says volumes about her sex life and orgasmic ability. Psychology professor Stuart Brody, of the University of the West of Scotland and colleagues at the Catholic University of Louvain in Belgium, report an 80 percent success rate in determining the history of vaginal orgasm in women by the way they walk.
By first establishing the sexual history of volunteers and then videotaping the way they walk, trained sexologists discovered that the sum of the stride length and vertebral rotation was greater for vaginally orgasmic women. “The discerning observer may infer a woman’s experience [with] vaginal orgasm from a gait that comprises fluidity, energy, sensuality, freedom and absence of both flaccid and locked muscles,” reports the study published in The Journal of Sexual Medicine.
Lead researcher Stuart Brody suggests that vaginally orgasmic women do not have blocked pelvic muscles. Because of this, the way they walk is natural. Put another way, the orgasmic walk is not a contrived ‘sexy’ walk, it’s more along the lines you would see from Heidi Klum on the catwalk - high energy, confident and naturally sensual.
But how do the researchers explain these conclusions? Brody offers up some plausible explanations. First, blocked pelvic muscles could impair vaginal orgasms and this would also have an influence on the gait. Secondly, vaginally orgasmic women could feel more confident with their sexuality and this comes across in the way they walk.
And is there a use for such information? Researchers say yes. The study provides some support for the link between sexual function and muscle blocks. Women with orgasmic dysfunction might therefore benefit from training in movement, breathing and muscle patterns associated with sexual dysfunction.
A word of caution at this point. The fact that a women is not vaginally orgasmic does not necessarily mean they are sexually dysfunctional. Their partner has a role to play in this and it’s something to consider. We also need to be a little cautious about the size of this particular study. An 80 percent success rate may sound impressive but the size of the sample was just 16 women. To my mind this puts the study into the ‘interesting’ category. The 80 percent success rate is statistically significant, but let’s also consider the remaining 20 percent. In real terms we’re talking about two women who had vaginal orgasms but who were not detected by the way they walked.
The potential for further study, especially in relation to sexual dysfunction, looks promising. Oh, and in case you are concerned about the general public assessing your orgasmic history the next time you venture out, take comfort in the fact that heels are your friend. The study was conducted by asking women to wear flat shoes because heels distort the natural walk. Phew
Jerry Kennard, Ph.D., is a chartered psychologist and associate fellow of the British Psychological Society. Jerry’s clinical background is in mental health and, most recently, higher education. He is the author of various self-help books and is co-founder of positivityguides.net.