Paleo Chicken Sausage and Roasted Vegetables from Borne AppÃ©tit - A One-Pot Healthy Meal in Minutes
Turnips Instead of Potatoes
When I was a child, Mom made turnips once a year. It was by special request from Dad; he liked mashed potatoes and turnips. And so he got them every Thanksgiving. The rest of the family disliked the bitterness of this root vegetable. I never ate them.
I guess it was not until middle age that I developed a liking for turnips. I always use them when I make roasted root vegetables and chicken. The roasting process allows the turnips to caramelize in their own natural sugars so they are not bitter. For those who want to lose weight, roasted turnips, which has just 8g of carbohydrates, are a wonderful substitute for white potatoes that have 43g of carbohydrates. I virtually never eat white potatoes and use turnips or sweet potatoes instead. Read What the Whole30 Diet Did for Me (also Paleo).
Tonight I developed a one-pot, quick and easy recipe for Paleo Chicken Sausage and Roasted Vegetables. The roasted vegetables included turnips, of course, plus broccoli, red peppers, and yellow onions. While my husband (a potato eater who does not eat Paleo) and I sat eating our dinner out on the veranda, he remarked that the dish was quite tasty. I think your family (potato eaters or not) will enjoy this one-pot healthy meal, too
Paleo Chicken Sausage and Roasted Vegetables from Borne AppÃ©tingredients
1 package of spicy Italian chicken sausage (5 big links)
1 large turnip
1 large yellow onion
1 large red bell pepper
1 TBS or more to taste of seasoning blend (I used Kroger's Chicken Grill Time Seasoning of garlic, salt, onion, black pepper, sage, thyme, rosemary, red pepper, parsley, orange peel, paprika, and green bell peppers)
1 TBS Ghee (clarified butter)
1 TBS Olive oil
ToolsCutting board and knifeLarge roasting panMeasuring spoon** Directions**
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash all vegetables and set aside.
- Peel turnip and onion. Cut veggies into big chunks. Cut sausage links into thirds.
- Spread all ingredients across the roasting pan in a single layer. Drizzle with ghee and olive oil. Do not worry if the ghee clumps a little on the food.
- Mix well then sprinkle with the seasonings blend. Mix again.
- Roast for 25 minutes, flipping the sausage and veggies halfway through the cooking time. Test for doneness, as oven temperature varies. The meal is done when the veggies are browned and tender.
Living life well-fed,** My Bariatric Lifisit my website MyBariatricLife.org**** See My Bariatric Life photo gallery on Flickr dd me to your circle on Google+**** Follow MyBariatricLife on Twitter iew my Borne AppÃ©tit recipe collection on Pinterest**