Traditional Caesar salad doesn't favor the waistline. This equally tasty version drastically cuts calories, fat, and sodium for a healthier alternative. Here’s how you do it.
• Replace anchovy fillets in oil with anchovy paste.
• Substitute roasted garlic for the raw egg (reducing calories, fat, and the potential for foodborne illness).
• Replace some of the olive oil with chicken stock.
• Add flavor with minced shallots and chopped tarragon.
• Reduce the amount of Parmesan cheese.
This recipe serves: 4
8 cups torn romaine lettuce
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette (see recipe) or low-fat bottled Caesar dressing
2 teaspoons anchovy paste
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups seasoned croutons
1. Place the lettuce in a large bowl.
2. Combine the lemon juice, Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette, and anchovy paste in a small bowl.
3. Toss the salad with the vinaigrette mixture, Parmesan cheese, and black pepper. Add the croutons, toss and serve.
Serving Size: 2 cups
Number of Servings: 4