Can I Get Rid Of My Allergy To Sea Water?


Asked by Rach

Can I Get Rid Of My Allergy To Sea Water?

My face is allergic to salt water!

I developed "face" allergies when I was around the age of 12. I went on holiday abroad to a hotel which had a salt water pool. I was alright for the first few days but then for some reason my face started stinging and started to swell as my parents didn't know what it was I just washed my face with normal water and kept out of the salt water as I was going home the next day. By the time I got off the aeroplane I couldn't see out of my eyes because my face had swollen that much. The doctor was called out and she prescribed me zertec for the swelling and some non perfumed moisturiser (aquas cream). The zertec pills made me really tired but once the swelling started to go down, the skin on my face started to shed like a snake. Once all that damage skin peeled off I was fine again.

As I got older I started experimenting with foundations etc and certain creams reacted with my face and did the same thing but as I knew what to do this time it wasn't so bad, still hurt and swelled a little but didn't balloon as I caught it in time! I had some test done and found out I was allergic to - Diazolidinyl urea, Germal 11, Germal 115, Germaliis, Colophonium and Rosin. I don't know what any of these are but I know if I see them in creams I will react so I just keep away from them.

The problem is I still have the same reaction with salt water no matter where I go (I have been to so many different countries and it is all the same) I hate it as I cant join my friends and family in the water sport events or go snorkelling or swim with dolphins etc. Is there anything I can do to stop my Face being allergic from the sea water? Please help, I feel like I am the only one with this problem.


Hi Rach,

There is no cure for allergies, unfortunately. Sometimes they do go away or lessen over time, but there is no way to know for sure if this will happen or when. One thing you might consider, however, is to see an allergist. Allergists can test you for specific allergies. It may be that there is something specific in seawater that you are reacting to.

If the allergist is able to determine what you are allergic to, then immunotherapy may be an option. Immunotherapy is a form of treatment where you are exposed to tiny amounts of what you are allergic to in the hopes you will eventually experience a lessening of your sensitivity. There is no guarantee this will work, but it does have proven effectiveness, so it's worth exploring with a specialist.

You might also ask if taking an allergy medicine ahead of time might reduce your sensitivity to seawater. I don't know that this would work, but it's worth asking.

To your health,


Answered by Kathi MacNaughton