RSD causing Migraines; what type of doctor?

Health Professional

Full Question:

I suffer from RSD. Chronic Pain!!! I have been to many different pain mgmt. doctors. This also causes me to have chronic migraines. I went to see a neurologist in Pittsburg, PA and was told that she did not want to treat me for the chronic migraines due to my medical history because she did not understand RSD and cared not to even try. I end up in the ER quite often for the migraines and most of the time I leave there with the migraine or even a terrible headache. I am at my wits end with the additional pain. If you could tell me what type of doctor I need to see and possible help locating one in my area I would greatly appreciate the information.

Thank you so much! Lisa.

Full Answer:

Dear Lisa;

RSD, aka complex regional pain syndrome (CPRS), doesn't cause Migraines. Migraine is a primary headache disorder, which means it's not caused by any other disorder. CPRS and Migraine can be comorbid, which means that a person can have both, but neither causes the other.

The best type of doctor to see for your Migraines is a Headache and Migraine specialist. It's important to note that neurologists aren't necessarily Migraine and headache specialists. Take a look at the article  Migraine and Headache Specialists - What's So Special? If you need help finding a Migraine specialist, check our listing of ** Patient Recommended Migraine and Headache Specialists**.

Once you get to a Migraine specialist, if he or she isn't comfortable treating the CRPS also, ask him or her to recommend a good doctor for it, then make sure the two of them consult about your care with you taking part in the consultations.

Good luck,
John Claude Krusz and Teri Robert

If you need help finding a   Migraine and headache specialist,

visit our listing of _Patient Recommended Specialists _.


About Ask the Clinician:


Dr. Krusz is a recognized expert in the fields of headache and   Migraine treatment and pain treatment. Each week, he and Lead Expert Teri Robert, team up to answer your questions about headaches and   Migraines. You can read more about _ Dr. Krusz_ or more about _** Teri Robert** _.

If you have a question, please click** HERE. Accepted questions will be answered by publishing the answers here. Due to the number of questions submitted, no questions will be answered privately, and questions will be accepted only when submitted via THIS FORM**. Please do not submit questions via email, private message, or SharePost comments. Thank you.

Please note: We cannot handle emergencies or diagnose via the Internet. Please do not ask us to diagnose; see your physician for diagnosis.

We hope you find this general medical and health information useful, but this Q & A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. For all personal medical and health matters, including decisions about diagnoses, medications and other treatment options, you should always consult your doctor. See full Disclaimer.

Follow Teri on     or