Swollen Breast And Lymph Nodes


Asked by faithlh

Swollen Breast And Lymph Nodes

Hello, ever since I've had a period, I would always get a swollen lymph node under my left armpit and I got it checked out and they said it was just hormonal. I'm 20 now, and the lump under my armpit hasn't gone down for about two months now. I went to the doctor about a month ago for it, and they said that it was just a swollen lymph node (they've previously done two ultrasounds on it already). They also examined my breast and didn't say anything was wrong. My left breast is swollen now (it has been before when my period was late, but my period has been on time since it happened this time), and I've been taking birth control pills for a little over a year now. I'm wondering if I'm getting an overload of hormones and maybe i should stop taking it and see if it changes? I'm so terrified to go to the doctor and but i feel like my whole left side under my armpit is all lumpy. it's painful sometimes and my breast seems more painful than the right one. I'm really hoping it's not breast cancer. has anyone had any experience with these issues or any advice? I would greatly appreciate it. Also I started birth control because my periods were all over the place and my hormones were going crazy.


Faith, at your age, it's extremely unlikely you'd be dealing with breast cancer. What's much more common for women in their 20s, and matches your symptoms, is something called fibrocystic change, which is characterized by painful lumps and general discomfort; but is basically harmless. If I were you, I'd ask your doctor for a referral to a breast specialist; this is a doctor who deals with all kinds of breast issues, and should be able to diagnose what's going on, and treat it, if necessary.

Please don't be afraid to see a doctor; the only way to get past worry is to take action of some kind, and seeing the doctor is the most sensible (and effective) action you can take. NOT seeing a doctor due to fear isn't sensible, and may someday really put you at serious risk. So call your GP and see if you can get in to see a specialist, OK? Good luck - PJH

Answered by PJ Hamel