I Think I Have Water Brash How Can This Be Fixed?


Asked by rrrorerts

I Think I Have Water Brash How Can This Be Fixed?

I have acid reflux along with water brash (excessive mucus). I can't live with the mucus any longer; I have been on 2 prilosec for 8 months now and to the GI a few times but the doctor doesn't seem to have time for me. Thinking about having acid reflux surgery to hopefully fix all this.


Hi rrorerts,

Water brash is excessive saliva, but I don't recall there being too much said about mucus. It could be that your acid reflux (the cause of the water brash) is also causing issues in your sinus' and lungs which would cause the mucous. You might want to mention this to your doctor to see if it makes a difference in your treatment.

There is a little information on this site about water brash, including this post by Dr Todd Eisner, a gastroenterologist and one of the resident experts here. Essentially, treatment for water brash is the same as treatment for acid reflux. If the prilosec dosage you are taking is not enough to treat the acid reflux, you might need to speak to your doctor about increasing your dosage, or finding another Proton Pump Inhibitor that works better for you.

While online sites are here to give you the information you need to ask all the right questions, they can not take the place of your doctor's care and advice. Only you and your doctor know what is best for you.

Here is some basic information about GERD or Acid Reflux to get you started.

You can read about GERD here in the overview and you can check your symptoms here in the symptoms database. Once you have seen your doctor, if he prescribes medication for GERD, you can read about the medications usually prescribed here in the drugs database. You can also research treatments available and alternatives here in the treatments database.

I hope this helps you somewhat. Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing!

Vicki M

You should know: The answer above provides general health information that is not intended to replace medical advice or treatment recommendations from a qualified healthcare professional.