If you have dry skin, your complexion may look dull or lackluster. You may have dry, red patches or flaky skin. Wrinkles and lines develop more easily when you have dry skin. The following are tips for taking care of dry skin:
- Keep showers and baths warm, not hot. Hot water strips your skin of natural moisturizers and dry it out. While a long, hot shower feels good, for those with dry skin, shorter (5 to 10 minutes) and warm showers will help keep your skin moisturized.
- Stay away from harsh soaps and cleansers. Stick with non-soap, fragrance-free cleansers. Stay away from those with antibacterial and other additives.
- Use a moisturizer after you shower. After your shower, pat your skin dry and apply a moisturizer. This helps lock in moisture. If you apply moisturizer during the day, splash a little water on your skin before applying the moisturizer.
- Try different moisturizers to find the one that is right for your skin. There are hundreds of moisturizers and it is hard to know what is right for your skin. You may need to try a few different ones, but look for those specifically made for dry skin.
- Use a humidifier when you have the heat on. Heating your home also robs it of moisture in the air, which, in turn, can dry out your skin. During the winter months, use a humidifier in your home to add moisture to the air.
- Use a shaving cream or gel. When you shave, you are also taking the skins natural oils away. Shave after your shower, when your hair is wet and softer. Always shave in the direction your hair is growing.
- Stop smoking. Smoking dries out your skin and causes premature aging.
- Drink plenty of water. Our bodies hydrate from the inside out. If you aren't drinking enough water, it can show up on your skin. Drink the eight recommended glasses of water each day to keep your skin smooth.
- Don't forget moisturizer for areas where the skin is thinner and can easily dry out. This includes around the eyes and the neck.
- Exfoliate. This removes the dead skin cells on your face. When you are finished exfoliating, immediately apply moisturizer. This allows the moisturizer to reach the live skin cells and penetrate into the skin.
For more information on dry skin: