Top10 Ways to Celebrate National Family Caregivers Month 2008
There are many ways to celebrate family caregivers and to take action and communicate the important messages of NFC Month. The following are ideas and guides to help you create a successful National Family Caregivers Month in your community:
- Offer a few hours of respite time to a family caregiver so they spend time with friends, or simply relax.
- Send a card of appreciation or a bouquet of flowers to brighten up a family caregiver's day.
- Encourage local businesses to offer a free service for family caregivers through the month of November.
- Participate in the National Family Caregivers Association's FREE national teleclass to learn how to communicate more effectively with health care professionals. The 2 free one hour sessions will be November 6th and 13th at 2 pm ET. For more information visit www.thefamilycaregiver.org.
- Help a family caregiver decorate their home for the holidays or offer to address envelopes for their holiday cards.
- Offer comic relief! Purchase tickets to a local comedy club, give a family caregiver your favorite funny movie to view, or provide them with a book on tape.
- Find 12 different family photos and have a copy center create a monthly calendar that the family caregiver can use to keep track of appointments and events.
- Offer to prepare Thanksgiving dinner for a caregiving family in your community, so they can just relax and enjoy the holiday.
- Take a few minutes to write a letter encouraging your mayor, county, executive, or governor to issue a local proclamation establishing November as National Family Caregivers Month. Contact informational for state government officials can be found at www.firstgov.gov.
- Help a family caregiver find information and resources on the internet or to locate a local support group.