Credit: Thinkstock For those of us who have three or more migraines a month, or whose migraines are especially severe and debilitating, migraine preventive treatment is usually recommended.
Migraine preventive treatments can serve other purposes and have other benefits as well. For people with frequent or especially debilitating migraines, preventive treatments are a valuable part of a multi-faceted management program that includes:
- accurate diagnosis and a doctor who works with us as treatment partners,
- educating ourselves about our migraines,
- trigger identification and management,
- preventive treatment,
- abortive treatment,
- rescue treatment, and
To get a clearer picture of the role and benefits of preventive treatments, we turned to Dr. Elizabeth Loder. Dr. Loder is a leading migraine and headache specialist and the past president of the American Headache Society. Here’s what Dr. Loder told us:
More Helpful Information:
- Migraine and Headache Prevention - So Many Options
- Migraine Medications - Preventive, Abortive, and Rescue
- How to Tell a Migraine from a Headache - Video
a Headache and Migraine Organization
for Patient Empowerment
Reviewed by David Watson, MD.
© Teri Robert, 2015. • Last updated July 20, 2015.