What is the Difference Between Bronchial Asthma and Allergic Asthma?


Asked by Bobo2008

What Is The Difference Between Bronchial Asthma And Allergic Asthma?

I have lived with asthma since I was 27 or 28 and I am 35 now. I am allergic to cats, dust, and molds. I do not know if I have allergic or bronchial asthma. I was wondering since I do have allergies and asthma, could it be allergic or bronchial? I am on Symbicort 3 times daily and singulair 1 time daily. what is the difference between the two?


Hello Bobo,

I'm surprised no one has answered your question before this. Sorry about that! Bronchial asthma is just another name for asthma. Bronchial simply refers to the fact that asthma affects the bronchial airways, which consist of the bronchial tubes that branch off from your trachea (breathing tube) into the smaller bronchioles into the even smaller alveoli.

Allergic asthma is the most common type of asthma, accounting for more than half of the 20 million plus asthma cases throughout the world. Since you do have allergies as well as asthma, in all likelihood, allergies are the basis of your asthma. Do your symptoms worsen when you're exposed to allergens such as pollen, mold, furry/feathered animals or dust? If so, you probably have allergic asthma. But check with your doctor to be sure.

Singulair is a type of medicine known as a leukotriene modifier. Leukotrienes are involved in the allergic process of inflammation, so Singulair blocks their actions, helping with both allergies and asthma. Symbicort is what is known as a combination asthma controller medicine. It contains both an inhaled steroid (budesonide), which helps with airway inflammation and a long-acting bronchodilator (formoterol), which helps airways to relax. Inhaled asthma medicines are sometimes used with Singulair. Kind of like covering all of the bases in controlling your asthma and allergies.

To your health,


You should know: The answer above provides general health information that is not intended to replace medical advice or treatment recommendations from a qualified healthcare professional.